Weekly tips to bring island-inspired wellness into your everyday life from Rosalie Bay Resort wellness coordinator Laura Lund.
Avocados are rich in healthy fats such as oleic acid and omega-3-fatty acids, both essential to heart health and blood vessel support. High in fiber and low in carbohydrates, the avocado is great for regulating one’s blood sugar. They are also high in anti-oxidants and help prevent osteo and rheumatoid arthritis.
This Wellness Wednesday, we are making guacamole with guests in our Organic Cooking Light class. Originated in the 16th century, guacamole was first made by the Aztecs. The name comes from the Aztec word ahuacamolli, which means “avocado sauce”, (ahuacatl = avocado) and (molli = sauce).
You can enjoy the health benefits of avocados at home with our guacamole recipe below. Enjoy!
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice – Immune booster, great cleanser for all organs
- 1/4 cup chopped onion – High in sulfur compounds, cancer protective, aim for
- 1 medium tomato diced – Anti-oxidants, anti-inflammatory, cardio and cancer protective
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro – Full of vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants, binds heavy metals and pulls out of body
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well